Your course leads to a certified qualification that is of recognised quality and international standing, and will represent your achievement and your efforts at the institute. QQI (Quality and Qualifications Ireland) is our primary awarding body at Carlow Institute of Further Education and Training, and our Level 5 and Level 6 courses lead to their internationally recognised qualifications. QQI awards will support your choice of progression to work and to further study.
We also offer qualifications from other leading awarding bodies. These awards can become your passport to a successful career, and the awarding bodies include:
- CIDESCO (Comite International D’esthetique et de cosmetology)
- ITEC (International Therapy Examination Council)
- SEC – State Examinations Commission (Department of Education and Skills)
- City & Guilds
Details of the underpinning awards are shown on each course information page, and further information is available from course co-ordinators.
Carlow Institute of Further Education and Training received its Quality Assurance Agreement from QQI in May 2006. We have agreed procedures and policies with QQI to assure the quality of courses and services and are registered to offer courses leading to QQI awards.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
The National Framework of Qualifications forms the basis of a flexible and integrated system of qualifications. Carlow Institute supports the recognition of prior learning by education providers and awarding bodies.
Prior Learning Encompasses:
- Formal learning, which takes place through programmes of study or training, delivered by education or training providers which attract awards
- Non-formal learning that takes place alongside the main-stream systems of education and training. It may be assessed but does not normally lead to formal certification.
- Informal learning that takes place through life and work experience (and is sometimes referred to as experiential learning).
Carlow Institute of Further Education and Training, in conjunction with QQI, is committed to implementing a RPL Policy to enable access to our courses for all students. This involves an evaluation of a student’s learning to date so as to determine their capacity to participate on their chosen course. If you require any further information about RPL, please contact the Institute for details.